Right now the mainline is marked as alpha quality. This will be true of the upcoming snapshot we propose to cut off the mainline. Given the alpha marker, databases created by the snapshot won't be upgradable.

What happens when we branch the mainline for the 10.2 release? At what point do we remove the alpha marker? I was under the impression that the disabling marker remains in place for the initial beta candidates which we cut off the 10.2 branch. I was also under the impression that we remove the disabling marker only when we produce the first release candidate. Does this sound correct?

I notice that the 10.1.3 snapshot does not have the disabling marker. We are promising to upgrade databases created with this snapshot. Is this what we generally expect: Once we have cut a release off a branch, snapshots cut off that branch must create upgradable databases?