Kathey Marsden wrote:

Rick Hillegas  and Kathey Marsden wrote:
[lots of stuff about implementation details that probably should wait a bit]

I think Dan's summary and focus on goals was good:
Dan said ...

I think the goal should be to support auto-loading and to ensure
applications that perform some setup and then explicitly load the Derby
embedded driver continue to work.

Another goal would be to minimize the resources used and permissions demanded by Derby when it is auto-loaded but never used. For example with auto-loading, we would want to make sure that there were no read/write permissions required and memory usage was kept to a minimum.

Kathey

I think that Kathey's final goal pretty much sums up the concern which Suresh raised. Thanks to everyone's patience, it appears we have our consensus: this is a serious problem and we need a solution which satisfies these goals. So far there's one solution on the table: Olav's original proposal to relocate engine booting.