Hi, Lance.  Sorry I had to challenge you publicly on the list, but
I'm really worried that if we're not very careful we are going to paint ourselves into a corner and we are going to have to fork Derby in order to do a Java DB release.

I think we need the JCP lawyers (and it sounds like the ASF lawyers) to weigh in on this question before we make any conclusions that could cause us real trouble.

Thanks,

David

David Van Couvering wrote:
Lance J. Andersen wrote:
You cannot have a GA version of a JDBC 4 driver until JSR 221 goes final.

Are you *sure* you can't *have* a GA version, e.g the bits can't exist somewhere, as long as they're not officially declared generally available? If we can't even create the bits, then it is physically and logically impossible for us to give anything to the JDK team for integration.

Personally, I think we need to get clarification from the JCP folks on this before we make any final conclusions about this.

Thanks,

David