Thanks, Myrna, this does the trick!

Cheers,
-Rick

Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

On 7/12/06, Rick Hillegas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm seeing the following error when I run the xa suite under jdk1.3.
This looks like an environmental problem to me. Would appreciate advice
on the accepted way to fix my environment for running the tests under
jdk1.3.

The suite dies trying to load javax.transaction.xa.Xid. This is a class
which is not present in the 1.3 jdk but which appears in 1.4 and later.
It appears to me that since the loader can't find this class in the jdk,
it grabs it from geronimo-spec-jta-1.0.1B-rc4.jar, which I'm suspecting
causes the class version error.

My classpath includes the following jars from trunk/tools/java

db2jcc.jar            geronimo-spec-jta-1.0.1B-rc4.jar
javacc.jar          junit.jar       xml-apis.jar
db2jcc_license_c.jar  geronimo-spec-servlet-2.4-rc4.jar
jce1_2_2.jar        servlet.jar
empty.jar             jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar
jdbc2_0-stdext.jar  xercesImpl.jar

Here's the error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
javax/transaction/xa/Xid (Unsupported major.minor ver
sion 48.0)
       at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:106)
       at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:243)
       at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:51)
       at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:183)
       at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:288)
       at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:310)
       at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunList.shouldSkipTest(Unknown
Source)
       at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunList.setSuiteProperties(Unknown
Source)
       at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunList.runSuites(Unknown
Source)
       at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunList.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunSuite.getSuitesList(Unknown
Source)
       at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunSuite.main(Unknown Source)

Hi Rick,

I have a jta1_2.jar in my jvm's jre/lib/ext which has this class.

If you have that puppy also, then maybe not having the geronimo jars
in the classpath will make a difference? Do classes from the classpath
get loaded before classes in the jre/lib/ext?

Myrna