Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway wrote:
I seem to recall than in a discussion on optimizer timeout it was said that the optimizer will terminate if it has run for longer than the so-far lowest estimate for running a query. I guess that could result in a less optimal plan on a slow computer. Maybe this is what is occurring here?

I think both the wisconsin and the predicatePushdown tests run with timeout disabled (i.e. with the property "derby.optimizer.noTimeout=true" in their respective _derby.properties files). So in theory that should not be the problem...(though of course the theory could be wrong).

I think Knut Anders made some good observations regarding the predicatePushdown failure; see his comments on DERBY-1902. If anyone knows the answers to the questions he posted there (I don't), that might be a good place to start...

Army