Bryan Pendleton wrote:
The results of these experiments puzzle me. I think it is odd that you need credentials to bring down the engine, but you don't need credentials to bring down the network server--which then brings down the engine as a side effect. Is this behavior expected and correct right now?

Possibly you are seeing DERBY-51. That is, I don't think that bringing
down the network server actually does bring down the engine. It just
crashes the JVM, leaving the engine to recover the next time you connect
to that database.

thanks,

bryan

Thanks, Bryan. This could explain some other odd error messages I saw when a sleeping client woke up after the network server was forced down.

Regards,