Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

OK, so if we did some kind of reflection trick in SqlXmlUtil to use the
com.sun.org.apache.xalan package if org.apache.xalan wasn't there, that
would probably work.

Hmm...would this me we were coding Derby for a specific JVM (or set of JVMs)? Is that a precedence we really want to set? Sure, it's Sun's JVM, but still...do we do have any other specific logic in the Derby code?

Hmm, there is also a com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.xpath.XPath
class that we could check for. Its existence would at least give us the
same guarantee as org.apache.xpath.XPath, I think.

Same question as above.

If we require Xalan specific classes/methods and cannot only rely on
generic interfaces, then I agree, Xalan is what we should check for.

I think this is probably the way to go.

I'll log a JIRA issue for this, since it seems like a great usability
improvement not to require separate downloads when the JVM has what's
needed.

I think it's important to make sure we're talking about the same Jira. I think it makes sense to file an issue for checking specifically for Xalan classes. I'm not so sure I like the idea of adding code to check for a set of classes that are only present in Sun jdks. That makes me a little uncomfortable...

Army