A system running Solaris 10 using Derby 10.5.3  and JDK 1.6.0_05 has had a
OutOfMemory PermGen reported in derby.log a couple of times of the past few
months.  This system has been running for over a year now with no problems but
the last few months this has been reported and the system needed to be
restarted.  The only changes in the database access have been a substantial
increase in the number of database records that have been inserted, deleted,
and queried upon.  There have been no new derby classes (ie procedures or
functions) loaded into the system.   The system runs about 2 weeks of constant
access that last time before this occurred again.

So any ideas why it would be getting a PermGen error?

I know I can pass a parameter to increase the PermGen size (right now, it is
using the JVM default) but I was wondering what would trigger this.

Also, any recommendations on what this should be set to?

Thanks.

Brett