I'm glad it completed successfully.

You might want to put your experiences on the Derby "hints and tips" wiki. It
could come in useful to somebody else in the future.

bryan

On 01/09/2012 06:40 AM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:
Got my own answer :)  1859 log files and 1 hour 45 minutes.  Ouch, don't know
if I will do that one again.

From: Bergquist, Brett
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 8:57 AM
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: Can anyone help with predicting how long/how big a transaction log
will be when updating 10 Million records

I have a database upgrade that is currently running at a customer site.  Little
did I know that their database table has between 10 and 11 million records.
The upgrade is a updating one column with a fixed value.

It is doing  UPDATE WEEK_TABLE SET WEEK = 2

The column is a small integer.   Right now there are 1400 transaction log files
and growing and it has been going for over an hour.   I was wondering if there
is any idea that I could get on how many transaction log files will be needed
or an idea on how long the update might take.  I know this all depends on the
hardware, the size of the rows, etc., but I am just trying get some feel on how
long this might take.

Anything at all will be helpful and much appreciated.

Brett