Zithulele Basil Shange wrote:

I have a DB (Derby) having 100's thousands of rows. I would like to select row using a condition and be able to page them. The problem is that if I page them in memory I get an outofmemory error or the rowset returns a couple of thousands instead of all the rows matching the condition. Is there a way of retrieving a large amount of data rows and be able to page them as well? I have tried to limitting the results by setMaxRows but paging them is a problem. Regards
Zithulele

Hi -
I've not implemented a data paging system like yours but the answer to your question is yes, Derby will allow you to retrieve large amounts of data in a ResultSet. Derby should handle the buffering of data between the database and the application without exhausting memory. If the outofmemory error happens in derby classes then you will need to increase the maxHeap allocated to Java. As for paging the data this needs to be handled by the application and my guess is this is where your problem lies. How are you constructing/buffering your pages before displaying them? Is the outofmemory error happening in these classes?