On 20/08/2011 20:44, Morten Mikkelsen wrote:
Could you elaborate on your initial suggestion about using
Calendar.WEEK_OF_YEAR instead of the ugly case-thing to make up for my
temp_week_counts?

Create a Java method:
  public static final int weekNumber (java.sql.Date date) {
    Calendar c = Calendar.getInstance();
    c.setTime(date);
    return c.get(Calendar.WEEK_OF_YEAR);
  }

Now create a function in SQL:
  CREATE FUNCTION WeekNumber(theDate DATE)
    RETURNS INTEGER
    PARAMETER STYLE Java
    LANGUAGE Java
    EXTERNAL NAME 'packageName.ClassName.weekNumber';

...and then just use "WeekNumber(aDate)" in the SELECT statement.

A bit simpler than the ugly CASE!

Cheers,

 John English | My old University of Brighton home page is still here: