Thanks Myrna

I can't tell you want happens as I have not run the code with a commit yet!

Adding the one line psUpdate.executeUpdate(); is OK - thank you

You are spot on with what I was assuming............I did think that the
update would only apply to the  last record in my table

What I am trying to do is to update only the newest record in the table
That record has the highest primary key which is made up of the first two
fields in each record
Field 1 = Date and Field 2 = Time (which has values 0, 6, 12, and 18)

Are you suggesting that the following would suffice?

psUpdate = conn.prepareStatement("Update USD_JPY SET Return_predicted=?,
Class_predicted=? where Date=" +Date1 +"and Time=" + Time1)

A final question....................

If one was inserting a new record using psInsert what code do you use to
execute the Insert?

Bob M