Thank you Dyre for a brilliant reply..................
I do have a TRADE_ID number
Also, I only ever have ONE open trade at any point in time
I follow your three points completely

Because I already have code which retrieves x records ordered by date and
time I am considering the following code to answer my own question
// retrieve and update date and time of penultimate record
// I retrieve the latest 2 records
rs = s.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM TABLE ORDER BY Date ASC,"
        + " Time ASC OFFSET x ROWS FETCH NEXT 2 ROWS ONLY");
myConsole.getOut().println("Successfully retrieved latest 2 records from
TABLE: ");
rs.next();
String Date3 = rs.getString("Date");
int Time3 = rs.getInt("Time");
s.setCursorName("MYCURSOR");
rs = s.executeQuery("SELECT * from TABLE WHERE Date = '"
        + Date3 + "' AND Time = " + Time3
+ " FOR UPDATE");
rs.next();
conn.prepareStatement("UPDATE FROM TABLE SET PROFIT_LOSS = profit WHERE
CURRENT OF MYCURSOR").executeUpdate();

myConsole.getOut().println("Updated penultimate record");

Bob M