I understand 161 refers to the conglomerate SYSCOLUMNS_INDEX1 and the file
ca1.dat.

Is there any magic I can do to somehow drop this "index" and regenerate it?

Do you have any slightly older backups of this particular database that you
can copy ca1.dat from?

Alternatively, did you try (desperation, but ...) creating a new database with
identical DDL statements, and then copy its SYSCOLUMNS_INDEX1 conglomerate
to this database's ca1.dat?

index conglomerates are pretty closely tied to their base conglomerate,
so yet a third desperate measure would be to copy both the index and the
base conglomerate from a different (but similar) db to this db.

Good luck!

bryan