The current schedule for Java 9 calls for a GA date some time this autumn: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk9-dev/2017-June/005867.html. Shortly after that, I would expect that the Derby community would publish a new 10.14.1 feature release: https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourteenOneRelease

I would like to propose that 10.14 be the last release family which runs on Java 8. The 10.15 family would only run on Java 9 and higher. I expect that we would produce a 10.15.1 release some time after the first maintenance release of Java 9 goes GA, probably late in 2018.

Please us know if this platform policy would be a great hardship for you.

Thanks,
-Rick