Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:51:39 +0200, /fed/:

My doubt is that, if I am not wrong, every user that can connect to the network server can create a new database and so indirectly a new directory in the same places where the user that runs the network server have write permissions. I would prefer to create the database not directly on the network server but with the embedded driver and then later make it available on the network server. Maybe it is possible to limit this behaviour via the security manager but I don't think this can change a lot of the behaviour.

Is it possible to disable/prevent/limit this?

That's an interesting question I'm also curios about.

I've found the following documentation references that could be explored while waiting for more knowledgeable respondents to chime in:

* Configuring user authorization (Derby Security Guide) <https://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.16/security/csecauthorization.html> * Configuring fine-grained user authorization <https://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.16/security/csecauthorfine.html>

If you are using LDAP authentication, then you will need to enable fine-grained authorization by setting the derby.database.sqlAuthorization property to true.

If you use NATIVE authentication, there is no need to set the derby.database.sqlAuthorization property. NATIVE authentication automatically enables fine-grained authorization.

"SQL standard authorization":

* derby.database.sqlAuthorization (Derby Reference Manual) <https://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.16/ref/rrefpropersqlauth.html>

I couldn't find specific privileges about creating a database – have you tried if enabling "SQL standard authorization" (if not already?) disables this for remote access and/or non-admin users?

--
Stanimir