Hi Bernhard, hi Thorsten!

I keep the full mail, since I'd like to forward it to Thorsten - who
might not be aware of this mail.

Am Mittwoch, den 02.02.2011, 21:27 +0100 schrieb Bernhard Dippold:
> Hi Jaron, all,
>
> sorry that I can't work on the icons today, but I'm sick - the stomach
> flu my children had during the last days caught myself.

:-( Oh, please recover very soon ...

> [...]
> >>
> >> Do you think they are okay in comparable in quality?
> >>
> > I think the "Jaron gear" works better at the 16px but "Paulo's gear" looks
> > better at the 128px size.
>
> I just copied the shadings Paulo used for his icons to the "Jaron gear"
> - but as Paulo has limited Internet access he will probably not be able
> to step in in time.
> >

> >> Which one should we propose to include in LibreOffice 3.3.1?
> >>
> >> As part of our collaborative work I'd like to include Jaron's.
> >>
> > If you honestly think Paulo's gear is better don't include my change.  I
> > would rather the better icon be shipped out.  My feelings won't be hurt. :-)
>
> My personal impression is that your gear look more technical, it can't
> be mistaken as star or flower.
>
> So as nobody else commented on them, I'd go with yours.
>
> I'm quite sure that these icons will be visible on the user's desktop
> quite seldom - and from my personal experience (not UX based) these
> people rather use smaller than larger document icons.
> >
> > I integrated Jaron's Macro icons and the lighter Impress template gradient
> >> in this source file:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice_Initial_Icons-pre_final.svg
> >>
> >> If we are okay with the icons in this file, they will be the ones to hand
> >> over to Thorsten tomorrow.
> >>
> >> So please comment all: Critics, approval, what ever else:
> >>
> > In general the icons look great!  My five dislikes are: (by the way it
> > started at 2 and then I got really critical)
> > 1) Calc 128px icon: The middle column at the top row is a little light.
> > 2) Calc 128px icon: The lines on the bar graph next to the orange bar
> > contrast too much
> > 3) Draw 16px icon: I liked it better in a previous iteration where the
> > triangle was the same equilateral triangle as in the other icons
> > 4) Impress 128px icon: The shadow could be a little bit darker I think...
> > (opacity changed to ~80)
> > 5) HTML/Web 16px icon: If you take the 32px "World" and shrink it to the
> > 16px world size and then change the "web" to 0.5 px width you get a nicer
> > icon.*
>
> I can see all the points (perhaps except the last one - I'd like to have
> it visualized), some of them apply to the 256px icons too: So yes, there
> is room for improvement.
>
> I'd like to read Paulo's and Christoph's comments (and other's).
>
> But as time for improvements for the LibO 3.3.1 release seems to be
> over, we'll have to work on them for the next release.
>
> As your proposals don't change the general look&feel, it will not lead
> to user confusion when we change the icons slightly in the next releases.
>
> So I'd like to ask Thorsten to use this file to create the icons to be
> included in LibreOffice 3.3.1:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/d/d4/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons-pre_final.svg
>

> I can't find the issue/bug where the first version of the icons has been
> uploaded to bugs.freedesktop.org, so I can't attach the file there.

But we do have the wiki page ;-)
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons#Source_Code_Integration

However, I've added the link to the most recent files to the issue
tracker.

> It's a great result for a really collaborative work - and we go on this
> way with the new logo (I like Nik's proposal very much - will comment it
> tomorrow) and other tasks !

Thorsten, might that work? I didn't follow the discussion that closely
concerning how to export / do the icons. Do you need some help, then
please ask on the mailing list.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to help today/tomorrow, since I'm also a bit
busy as well :-\

Cheers,
Christoph