> *sigh*  I guess the mis-use is very much prevalent.

I was not aware that the Status Bar communicated save-status.

I suspect the majority of LO users are also not aware of this. It is easy to
see why users have adopted a "mis-use" of the Save Icon, assuming it is a
mis-use. Users have an icon they click to save a document. It is a fairly well
sized icon. Whey they go to click the icon and it is grayed out, no save is
possible. No save possible = nothing is in need of saving. Hence the icon
becomes a "communicator" as well as a "saver." Whether a correct judgment or
not, it is a common induction people are making.

But you say it is not reliable to rely on the save icon to show modification
status? That the status bar is a more accurate indicator of this?