What you are talking about is the highlighting of the active row/column at the
fixed cells. Your screenshot of the current state shows a gradient and you
suggest a flat style. (You cannot sent images over mailinglists.)

If your OS/design has a flat appearance (e.g. Windows 10's default) than you
are right. In fact my Linux/KDE with Breeze is flat and it looks similar to
your screenshot. The bug would request full theme awareness, i.e. it should be
defined by the OS and not the application how highlighting is done.