Evince bundles the whole libgd just so it can consume a two line cell
renderer for its icon view. In this case, it might be worth just
copy-pasting this specific class and drop the libgd dependency.

Sounds worth it setting up an Initiative* to coordinate the port away
from libgd.
* https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/Initiatives