On Fri, 2022-09-16 at 08:41 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> I'm glad you're phasing it out, but doing something
> different from the rest of GNOME is inherently confusing.

        Hi,
I think any change is always confusing at the start. My idea behind
x.y.0.90 is that the tweak number being so high suggests the release is
something just before the main (stable) release. GNOME used to have
.90, .91,... before too. As the scheme follows something well
established in another project(s) (even not GNOME) might be helpful.
Maybe.

> In contrast, everyone knows how to handle alpha/beta/rc and knows
> what they mean. Just use tildes instead of periods in the appstream
> metadata (43~alpha, etc.)

It has a little catch, when it does such a dull person like me, I
always forget to change the dot into a tilde not only in the appstream
data, but also when packaging. That's my problem, of course, not paying
enough attention or whatever, but it's also much better to not need to
pay attention, to have things done properly without recalling things.
As had been said in other mails in this thread, the tilde is just a
workaround for the problems the alpha/beta/rc causes to other parties.

        Bye,
        Milan