Workaround: launch gnome-tweak-tool, turn off 'Have file manager handle
the desktop', desktop is fine.  Interestingly, turning that option back
on doesn't break it again (until you unplug/re-plug the VGA cable).

  wallpaper displayed wrong on dual-head configuration

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  Here's my xrandr configuration:

      Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2646 x 1103, maximum 8192 x 8192
      LVDS1 connected 1366x768+0+335 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
277mm x 156mm
      VGA1 connected 1280x1024+1366+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 376mm x 301mm

  When I set a wallpaper to one of the stock Ubuntu images, I see this
  (see attached image).

  I'm running a GNOME 3 session using GNOME Shell in a fresh install of
  Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.  I can see that Nautilus ir responsible for drawing
  the desktop because I get its menu when I right-click.

  The wallpaper is drawn correctly in gnome-shell's Overview.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu3
  Date: Mon Jul 30 11:28:30 2012
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  GsettingsChanges: org.gnome.nautilus.window-state geometry '800x550+281+415'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   LC_CTYPE=lt_LT.UTF-8
   TERM=xterm