Created attachment 675206
Only correct the message size when storing the message offline

Would something like this be sufficient to stop the wrong size being
saved in the database? It seems to do the trick here, but I'm not
familiar with this code enough to know if it breaks something else

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Mailbox grows endlessly, heavy traffic

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  In Progress
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “thunderbird” source package in Lucid:
  Triaged
Status in “thunderbird” source package in Natty:
  Triaged
Status in “thunderbird” source package in Oneiric:
  Triaged
Status in “thunderbird” source package in Precise:
  Triaged
Status in “thunderbird” source package in Quantal:

  Yesterday I noticed that my Internet connection keeps transferring a lot of
data. After a while I checked with nethogs and discovered this was caused by
Thunderbird.
  Today I got a warning that my HDD was near full.
  In this 2 days, the mailbox had grown to 20 GB, while in reality it should be
around 1 GB (a fresh zipped backup has 600 MB).

  I removed the .thunderbird folder and configured my IMAP mailbox from
scratch. The same happened again.
  I think this is not related to a somehow special configuration of my PC bcs
my colleague discovered it's the same on his machine. Without checking, he
wouldn't have noticed yet bcs of a much bigger HDD...

  We couldn't yet find out what exactly happens / which data is transferred
again and again.
  I suspect it's related to the last thunderbird update.

  Ubuntu 12.04
  Tunderbird 16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1