Public bug reported:

When MOVING several selected files from an ext3 formatted USB stick to my ext3
formatted hard drive, the file dialogue appears to copy to the destination, but
the files are not copied. (The source files are deleted as expected, resulting
in loss of data.)
(In this instance I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity.)

When COPYING several selected files from an ext3 formatted USB stick to an NTFS
formatted USB stick, the files are copied to the  destination, but are
incorrectly deleted from the source.
(In this instance I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome 3 Shell.)

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Nautilus copy file deletes original, move deletes both with USB device

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu: