This was bugging me, so I just commented out the capslock remap in
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us :

https://gist.github.com/4401095#file-colemak_no_caps

Packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  colemak is broken

Status in “xkeyboard-config” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-do” package in Kiwi Linux:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  The colemak layout includes a mapping for key 66, which is the Wrong
  Way to add the backspace caps lock key behavior.  This mapping should
  be removed from the colemak layout and a backspace caps behavior
  should be added to gnome, KDE, and xfce. While it would be nice if the
  colemak layout would default to this caps lock behavior, it's not
  crucial, as it's easy enough to just change it. It is possible that
  backspace would be the first caps lock behavior to require repeat.