Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: bluez (Ubuntu)

  BT DUN device disappears permanently from nm-applet if connection
  broken

Status in “bluez” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  I'm a daily Bluetooth DUN user.  This is Ubuntu 12.04, on a Samsung
  NC-20 with a Nokia C5.

  I can easily establish a DUN connection through the phone and comfortably use
the Internet that way.
  After set-up, an item corresponding to my phone provider appears in the Gnome
NetworkManager (nm-applet) menu.

  However, if the DUN connection is broken, say by turning the phone off, or
taking the phone out of range,
  the item disappears from the menu, and never comes back, even if the phone is
in range and Bluetooth is clearly working on both devices.

  This is 100% reproducible on my system.
  This is an old problem: I remember it from the Ubuntu 10.x series.

  I tried re-starting nm-applet, and bluetooth-applet, to no effect.
  If the bluetoothd is restarted, however, the item re-appears, and the phone
can again be used.
  (Re-booting the computer works too of course.)

  I'm guessing it's a bluez issue, although it might be a NetworkManager
  issue (or both).

  Cheers!