The bug is not ignored, but we lack of manpower and people who know
about samba, there is just too much to do, anyone is welcome to work on
the issue and submit a patch though

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  nautilus hangs copying large directories from a samba share

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:

  I have a large directory, almost 50Gb and 45.000 files shared by samba on
ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS server.
  I used to copy the whole directory regularly on my desktop, and execute a
backup with deja dup on that.
  I did also often backup directly from the samba share.
  After upgrading my client to 12.10, copying the directory hangs randomly,
sometimes after having copied just 1 Gb, others having almost completed the
whole transfer.
  It just hangs, without any crash.

  I noted the also Deja -dup shows the same behaviour, now it's impossible to
complete a backup from the share, it just hangs.
  It seems to me that a bug in the samba client might be the cause of these
issues, since neither nautilus nor Deja-dup have problems with local large
directories.

  my system: Ubuntu 12.10 AMD64
  nautilus: 1:3.5.90.really.3.4.2-0ubuntu4
  deja-dup: deja-dup 24.0-0ubuntu1
  smbclient 2:3.6.6-3ubuntu5
  samba-common: 2:3.6.6-3ubuntu5
  samba-common-bin: 2:3.6.6-3ubuntu5

  Package: nautilus 1:3.5.90.really.3.4.2-0ubuntu4
  Date: Wed Nov  7 12:05:58 2012
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry'
b"'825x550+853+471'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64 (20121017.5)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: nautilus