I also note that something similar used to happen in Hardy, though I
can't recall whether the cursor would flash or not. Note that this
doesn't happen every time either, usually only maybe after a few days to
a couple weeks. But like one of the other people people here have said,
the user will be switched from myself to my wife multiple times per day.
So in almost every case, this bug only surfaces after quite a few user
switches.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  12.04 black screen with blinking cursor when switching users

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  When switching users on 12.04 it will sometimes just go to a black
  screen with a cursor. The user switching to is not logged in yet.

  Expected behavior:
  Click current user up top> from the drop-down click the user wanting to log
in > brought to the lightdm log in screen and log that user in

  Instead:
  Click current user up top> from the dropdown click the user wanting to log in
> brought to a black screen with a blinking cursor

  From here, you cannot type or initiate any keyboard shortcuts other
  than Ctrl +Alt+F(1-6) to reach tty1 etc, or Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to
  the user that you were originally trying to switch from. Ctrl+Alt+F8
  will bring you back to the black screen.

  This happens pretty often so I should be able to test anything needed.
  Thanks!

  Package: lightdm 1.2.1-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  Date: Fri May 18 08:00:55 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8