If this bug is a duplicate of #964705 that means that is an "opinion"
whether or not a normal user should be able to connect to a wireless
network!

I'm removing duplicate here, I can't see how this can be a duplicate as
long as the #964705 is marked as opinion, since that bug is discussion a
lot of other problems aswell. I do believe they have a common root
cause, but for the other use cases there seems to be some disagreement
about what should be the policy.

** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 964705
   System policy prevents modification of network settings for all users

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  Impossible for non-administrator users to connect to new wireless
  networks

Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  I have configured a laptop for a non tech-savvy member of my familiy,
  and therefore not given his user any administrative rights.

  It is impossible for him to connect to a new wireless networks, since
  that requires administrative priviledges. This makes the laptop more
  or less useless for him.

  I believe the root cause is that it by default tries to save the
  network connection and make it avaiable for all users, which requires
  administrative priviledges. Since it is a non-administrator user that
  is trying to connec to the network it should not try to add it for all
  users.

  Problem has been reproduced on several machines running Ubuntu 12.10, it can
easily be triggered:
  1. ( Create a user with a standard account )
  2. Log in as a normal users
  3. Try to connect to a wireless network - you will now be asked for the
password of the administrator account, which the user of course doesn't have.

  Note, the bug in step 3 will only trigger if another user hasn't
  previously connected to that network, because then it would already be
  stored in the system global network settings

  :~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.10

  :~$ apt-cache policy network-manager
  network-manager: