This has been a problem for me for a long time, tagged as regression as
Rhythmbox used to have an "Open to system tray" option in the menu.
There is also still an option flag '--hide' in the rhythmbox-client
manpage which hasn't worked for some time, it reports "Unknown Option"

** Tags added: regression

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Rhythmbox never starts minimized

Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  New
Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi! I'm on Quantal (12.10).

  What I expected:
  If I lunch rhythmbox (2.97-1ubuntu6) from Dash, from Alt+F2, from terminal
ecc it should show the main window.
  If i start it from the sound menu (by clicking the Play button, not the
application name) it should start and start playing without showing me the main
window.

  What I obtain:
  There's no actually a way to start rhythmbox minimized.

  In old versions there was an option --hide to launch it without showing the
main window.
  In newer versions there should be a gsetting key that remember the last state
(minimized, normal, maximized).
  In the last verion it's simply impossible to launch it minimized.

  Way to replicate this:
  Open rhythmbox, then closed it (Ctrl+Q), then push "Play" in sound Menu.
  It does not start playing and, instead show the main window.