Hi Raymond
Thank you for looking into this. It is true that my Asus F201E has only one
jack port for mic + headphones.

However, I am no developer and I find it hard to understand.
- What can average users do to momentarily fix the problem?
- What should we do to get the issue fixed? Is the problem specific to ALSA? If
so, has it been reported upstream?
- Was the git commit the one that broke it, or the one that is trying to fix it?

Cheers

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Headphones stopped working after use of Audacity. They are detected,
  but no sound is produced.

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running 13.10 and the latest GNOME. I've just fresh installed
  everything and the problem has occured again the same way. I would
  like to be able to use audacity, but I suppose in the mean time I will
  just reinstall everything.

  Steps to reproduce :
  1) Install audacity 2.0.3 from official Ubuntu repositories
  2) Open Audacity and play something with it
  3) That's it : no more headphones sound.

  - alsa log created with 'alsa-info.sh'
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo) : http://paste.ubuntu.com/7131709/

  - pulse log when I plug in my headphones, I run a MP3 file with VLC,
  close VLC then unplug headphones
  (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log) :
  http://paste.ubuntu.com/7131713/