With this workaround in place, desktop wallpaper (on the working
display) cannot be set using the 'Appearance' configuration tool, and
with automatic login the 'login screen as background' effect (the image
attached to #1) is there too. This could be Bug #1159430, and as
mentioned there, I can work around it using Compiz' Wallpaper plugin
(i.e. setting a wallpaper in Compiz sets it on the external display).

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Login screen goes to broken internal display, working external display
  shows black (unless xorg.conf set up)

Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  This is a laptop with a broken internal display ("LVDS1" in xrandr
  output), and therefore connected to a working external LCD ("VGA1").

  After upgrading from Precise to Trusty, boot ends with a black screen
  (on the external display). The greeter sound effect is played. Typing
  my password (I'm the sole user) does log me in, and brings up the
  desktop on the display.

  So the login functionality is there, just the visuals are missing. And
  they do flash by (corrupted) when the desktop is loading; if I set
  automatic login for myself, I get a desktop with the login screen as
  the background image (I'll attach a screenshot).

  There are existing, similar reports but all with subtle differences
  from this (such as Bug #1252748, where the user only gets black screen
  half the time) or too vague for me to claim to be the same issue with
  certainty (such as Bug #1242213). A lightdm restart (such as in Bug
  #969489) doesn't fix this (i.e. black screen still after lightdm
  restart).

  I'm not sure whether this is a lightdm issue or a unity-greeter one,
  so my reporting this against the latter is just a guess.

  Package: unity-greeter 14.04.1-0ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Nov 23 20:53:43 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  SourcePackage: unity-greeter
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2013-11-17 (6 days ago)