I installed gnome-software from proposed.

After typing in console:
  $ gnome-software apt:gedit
it is opening ubuntu-software with gedit

After typing in console:
  $ gnome-software apt:gimp
it is opening ubuntu-software with gimp

When I type apt:audacity in chromium or firefox browser, it is trying to
install audacity.

So it is working perfectly fine for me.

Verification passed.

** Tags removed: verification-needed
** Tags added: verification-done

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Doesn't understand apt: urls

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-software source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Impact:
  gnome-software doesn't understand apturls

  Test case:
  start "gnome-software apt:gedit", it should opens the gedit page, clicking on
an "apt:" url in firefox should open gnome-software on the corresponding
package
  one limitation, it only works for apps gnome-software knows about though (so
mostly graphical softwares)

  Regression potential:
  it only adds support for a new type or url shouldn't regress existing code

  Doing the same in software-center opens the gedit details page

  software-center used to the default handler for apt: urls, I've
  changed that to apturl but if we want to keep the previous user
  experience we should have gnome-software handle those