FYI I've not worked on this until now since the problem is not only on the
panel, but also on nautilus.
So we should define how to solve this, as this is just a special "mirror" case.

  Duplicate indicators bar and desktops with overlapped screens

Status in Unity:
  Confirmed
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:

  Using 4.22 in Oneiric with a dell laptop docked lid closed and with
  the internal screen enabled and placed "under" the external one in the
  xrandr capplet (dunno how that happened but it's the config I got on
  lid close and I can reproduce it manually by dnding the monitor and
  then enabling it), the indicators are duplicated

  [Test Case - xrandr]
  1.  With a laptop and external monitor of dissimilar maximum resolutions
  2.  Set to extended (left/right or above/below) and each display at maximum
resolution
  3.  xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
  4.  xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto
  Is:  Both displays show the same workspace as if mirrored, except the
external display shows an extra main bar and background, at the laptop's
resolution.
  Should be:  Both displays shown extended as configured in step #2.

  [Test Case - gnome-display-properties]
  1.  With a laptop and external monitor of dissimilar maximum resolutions
  2.  Launch gnome-display-properties (from Unity apps scope search for
"screens")
  3.  Set to extended (left/right or above/below) and each display at maximum
resolution
  4.  Disable the laptop screen; Apply
  5.  Drag the disabled laptop screen to overlay the enabled external screen in
the config tool
  6.  Enable the laptop screen
  Is:  Both displays show the same workspace as if mirrored, except the
external display shows an extra main bar and background, at the laptop's
resolution.
  Should be:  Both displays shown extended as configured in step #3.