journalctl shows an apparmor issue:

audit[9351]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="open"
profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird"
name="/proc/sys/dev/i915/perf_stream_paranoid" pid=9351
comm=57656220436F6E74656E74 requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
fsuid=1000 ouid=0

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  U2F not connected in snap package

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  U2F is not working for me when adding my gmail account to Thunderbird.
  I noticed that u2f-devices is not connected to the thunderbird snap.
  Running `snap connections thunderbird | grep u2f` returns nothing.
  Running `snap connect thunderbird:u2f-devices` returns: `error: snap
  "thunderbird" has no plug named "u2f-devices"`

  Because the apt version of Thunderbird works fine for me, I think this
  is just a simple matter of adding the u2f-devices connection to the
  snap package.