Hello Mikko, thanks for the report; I believe that's working as
intended, those bytes are part of the DER encoding; there's an excellent
answer at https://crypto.stackexchange.com/a/19982/1400 that describes
the meanings of each of those bytes.

Thanks

** Information type changed from Private Security to Public Security

** Changed in: gcr (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gcr in Ubuntu.

  Certificate viewer shows extra bytes for RSA keys

Status in gcr package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When I view a x509 certificate using

      gcr-viewer .../path/to/certificate.pem

  and open the "Details" section and check the RSA public key
  information, the section that lists the public key renders extra 8
  bytes at the start and 5 bytes at the end which are not actually part
  of the key.

  I haven't tried if this happens with other file types except x509, or
  with encryption methods except RSA. The exact certificate I viewed can
  be downloaded from https://crt.sh/?d=6454583403 and the expected
  public key modulus should start with 00:b6:28:0b:44:... but the
  certificate viewer shows public key starting with bytes 30 82 01 0A 02
  82 01 01 00 B6 28 0B 44. Note the extra bytes 30 82 01 0A 02 82 01 01.
  The extra bytes seem to be static and do not change after re-lanching
  the viewer again. There are also extra bytes in the end of the
  displayed key.

  I'm marking this bug as a security vulnerability for now because

  (1) This tool is supposed to used to check encryption credentials, and
  (2) It's still unknown if this is some kind of 8 byte underflow/5 byte
overflow or just a rendering problem. I'm not aware of the viewer writing extra
bytes to any memory location so I would assume this is just a rendering issue.

  I'm fine with this issue being public so feel free to publish at your
  discretion.

  Package: gcr 3.28.0-1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-107.121~18.04.1-lowlatency 5.4.174
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-107-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.27
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: MATE
  Date: Thu Apr 14 15:47:18 2022
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  SourcePackage: gcr