The network-manager package in Bionic and Focal install as symlink to
NetworkManager.service correctly:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=network-
manager.service&mode=exactfilename&suite=bionic&arch=any

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=network-
manager.service&mode=exactfilename&suite=focal&arch=any

However this has gone missing from Jammy onward:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=jammy&arch=any&mode=exactfilename&searchon=contents&keywords=network-
manager.service

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=kinetic&arch=any&mode=exactfilename&searchon=contents&keywords=network-
manager.service

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=lunar&arch=any&mode=exactfilename&searchon=contents&keywords=network-
manager.service

This can potentially break historical scripts / workloads that use the
network-manager.service name and would be nice to fix.

Looking at Debian packages, this is present on Stretch (9), Buster (10)
and Bullseye (11). It seems like it was dropped with Bookworm, however
it was re-added back to Sid.

  "Alias=" missing from NetworkManager.service

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Version: 1.10.6-2ubuntu1
  Ubuntu release: 18.04

  I've just had a fun few minutes wondering why I couldn't disable NM
  using "systemctl disable network-manager.service". Looks like the real
  unit file is NetworkManager.service, and the former is a symlink.

  Per systemd.unit(5), "unit files may specify aliases through the
  Alias= directive in the [Install] section" which allows the aliases to
  be used in systemctl disable etc. - so this might be a cleaner
  approach and would presumably solve the problem of lusers like me
  guessing unit names ..