Dear vaaydayaasra,

To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today,
LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open,
confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.

There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked
on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has
been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really
appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still
present.

If you have time, please do the following:

Test to see if the bug is still present with the latest version of
LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/

If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the information
from Help - About LibreOffice.

If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to
RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave a comment that includes the information from Help
- About LibreOffice.

Please DO NOT

Update the version field
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular
meaning that is not
appropriate in this case)

If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a
REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your
bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3) from
https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to 'inherited from OOo';
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add 'regression' to keyword

Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat:
https://web.libera.chat/?settings=#libreoffice-qa

Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!

Warm Regards,
QA Team

MassPing-UntouchedBug

  [upstream] Automatic cell alignment in Calc breaks with bidi-neutral
  characters

Status in LibreOffice:
  Confirmed
Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  Calc seems to assign the alignment of any particular text cell based
  on the contents of the cell: if the first character is a LTR
  character, the cell is aligned to the left, and if the first character
  is RTL, the cell is aligned to the right. This is desirable behavior
  but it breaks when the first character is neutral, i.e. a character
  that behaves as RTL in an RTL context and as LTR in a LTR context.

  See the attached screenshot where cell A1 "abc" is automatically
  aligned to the left and cell A2 "ابت" to the right. When I surround
  these strings with parentheses, which are bidi-neutral characters, in
  A3 and A4, both are aligned to the left. For some reason, even font
  metrics break with this assignment, as the last character of the
  Arabic string overlaps visually with the closing parenthesis (I think
  this is a separate issue and I’ll file it as such).

  In column C, I have copied the contents of column A but changed the
  directionality setting of cell C4 manually to RTL through Format Cells
  > Text direction. Here the cell is properly aligned to the right and
  the closing parenthesis does not overlap with the last character of
  the string.

  According to the Unicode standard, neutral characters should not
  affect directionality, and that’s what I would expect as a user, too.
  I think the best solution would be for Calc to skip all neutral
  characters in the beginning of the string and just consider the first
  strong character for cell alignment. Even better, Calc could use this
  heuristics to assign full text directionality for the cell, not just
  change alignment. Right now, if you start the cell with an RTL
  character followed by a LTR inset and then continue with RTL again,
  the substrings are ordered as in a LTR context ("FIRST second THIRD"),
  not as in true RTL ("THIRD second FIRST").

  Release:      18.04

    Installed: 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://mr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: libreoffice-calc 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Sep 18 11:26:18 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.2)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=C
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: libreoffice
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-05-31 (109 days ago)