Update: I just upgraded to Ubuntu 24.04 LTS and still no 550 drivers
available. Before upgrading to 24.04 I tried installing the driver
version 545 on Ubuntu 23.10 via the driver tool and immediately got hit
by a dependency error and at some point the installation just froze. I
decided to install 24.04 freshly from scratch after this.

Nvidia driver installation really has to be worked on when installing
via the additional drivers tool. It's lacking newer drivers and it's too
unstable when doing anything above the tested driver set.

Packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-drivers-common in Ubuntu.

  ubuntu-drivers no longer offers nvidia 550 drivers

Status in ubuntu-drivers-common package in Ubuntu:

  While I am unclear which package update impacted the video drivers
  detected by ubuntu-drivers, the nvidia 545 and nvidia 550 video
  drivers are no longer shown as an option on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
  video card. I can understand the removal of the nvidia 545 drivers as
  the current kernel's linux-signatures-nvidia-6.8.0-28-generic package
  lacks signatures for the nvidia 545 kernel modules for secure boot but
  the nvidia 550 kernel modules signatures are available. So while it
  would be acceptable to downgrade the 'tested' default nvidia driver to
  535, ubuntu-drivers and Additional Drivers should be offering the
  nvidia 550 drivers as an untested option.