I'm afraid Gwibber has become so slow as to be completely unusable, and
so I stopped using it.  I actually launched it just now to try and
reproduce this bug, and it's just too painful.

Packages, which is subscribed to gwibber in Ubuntu.

  slow url shortener interacts badly with message sending.

Status in “gwibber” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gwibber

  Try this: copy a link to the clipboard, open gwibber, type a message,
  paste the link (Gwibber replaces it with U+2328 KEYBOARD character:
  ⌨), press Enter.

  If the URL shortener is slow to react and shorten the url, Gwibber
  actually posts a message with that ⌨ character in place of my URL.
  (Bad!  Bug #1 -- please refuse my message submission until the actual
  URL is available, or fall back to using the full URL if it fits.)

  What's worse, now I've got this ⌨ in my entry box that doesn't go away.  I
press backspace, it disappears and then reappears.  (Bad! Bug #2).
  ---
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
  Package: gwibber 2.32.2-0ubuntu2
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=lt_LT:lt:en_GB:en
   LC_CTYPE=lt_LT.UTF-8
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=lt_LT.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-24.42-generic 2.6.35.8
  Tags: maverick
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-24-generic i686
  UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout libvirtd lpadmin plugdev sambashare