JSF uses #{} for binding.  This is meant to be consistent with that (even
though I'm not a fan of JSF, it's at least one reference for consistency).
Similarly ANT and many other projects use ${} for direct token/value
replacement, usually with properties.

Now we need something in between... direct text replacement for parameters.

That said, I've seen both :param and @param used in various frameworks and
databases.

Clinton