For the record, I made further tests. I changed the admin email to another mail provider (gmx.com) and no luck either. I tested that same gmx.com address with a forum of mine, running almost the same phpBB version (same main branch) and it worked fine. So I guess that the issue may be bigger than a mere gmail configuration update.

Hagar

Le 04/05/2024 à 09:34, David a écrit :
Is there any likelihood that this problem will be resolved in the near future?

Dave Fisher wrote:
Hi -

I’m hoping to follow up on the host VM and investigate this issue. I’m likely to need help from ASF Infra on the VM's smtp configuration. BTW - we also need to make sure that changes don’t break the MediaWiki which is hosted on that same VM.

Best,
Dave

On Apr 3, 2024, at 1:24 AM, David <da...@robley.au> wrote:

More information. I did a little testing on a sandbox phpBB installation, setting the From address to a valid gmail address. A bounce message was received by the user apache - the user as which the web server, and consequently phpBB, run. It might be useful to check the mailbox for the user under which your httpd runs.

David wrote:
The settings for outgoing mail are in the General tab as Email Settings in the Client Communication section - at least on a vanilla installation of phpBB; it may be that you don't have access to the entire range of admin functions.

Outgoing mail from the forum has the From field set as
From: <aoo.forum...@gmail.com>
and the return path

Perhaps this triggers Gmail's quarantine policy?

I can provide full headers for some examples of outgoing mails from the forum if it would be of any assistance.

Hagar Delest wrote:
It seems to be a recent change:
https://support.google.com/a/answer/81126?hl=en#zippy=%2Crequirements-for-all-senders

I don't see anything in the phpBB admin interface for that.
I tried with another mail address, no Gmail off course, no luck either.

Hagar.