On 7/5/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Well, that raises an interesting problem.  When a user goes to the Struts site,
they expect to see documentation covering the latest released version, but when
developers maintain the site, they are documenting the latest code in
development.

Yes, we expect to see both the latest documentation and the
documentation for the release we are using in production. Right now, I
can go to MySQL and surfe the documentation for the "development
version" 5.1, 5.0 , 4.1, 4.0, and 3.0.

I like the idea of automatically versioned sites as part of our release process
as it makes it easier for the users.  Also, this scheme makes it more obvious
which version the material covers.  I'm especially in favor of it as long as the
unreleased versions are cleared marked with a link to the last stable.

Yes, if we create the 1.3.5 folder before we release 1.3.5, then we
can link to that exact location as appropriate, and to "1.3" when
appropriate.

But if we want a "latest" link, then we would also need a "1.x" and
"2.x" link. Right now these woud equate to "1.3" and "2.0", but later
they may equate to "1.4" and "2.1"

To be clear, the primary Struts site isn't and shouldn't be versioned.  This is
the code in struts/site.  The versioning discussion is regarding the generated
site docs from each Struts version.

Yes, not "versioned" in the sense that we are putting the website
under version control, but we do want site archives available for
every version, whether it is 1.x, 2.x, or 9.x..

In summary, I think the solution you propose solves all the issues nicely.

One issue to consider is what do we do if a version does not go GA. If
we had been doing this all along, then we would have created a website
folder for 1.3.1. Would we have kept 1.3.1 around once we decided it
was a permanent Alpha, or do we delete folders for versions that we
know are not going GA.

If we are careful to constrain the references to a specific version of
the website, it would be possible to remove "beta" release sites, so
that we only retain  the GA sites over time.