>>Everything we do is public. There aren't any secret internal use labels.

Ted, then you are obviously not in on the secret. :)

Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 7/5/06, Michael Jouravlev  wrote:
> The disagreement and confusion is having and publicly using "1" and
> "2" labels. Do we use them internally? Do we use them publicly?

Everything we do is public. There aren't any secret internal-use labels.

> What do these labels mean? Do they identify generations like Java and Java2
> or Win9x and WinNT, or do they identify major version number?

In the case of Apache Struts,  the notion of a "generation" and "major
version" are the same. So long as we can keep one release
backwardly-compatible with another, we have always chosen to increment
the minor version number, even if the feature set has been
significantly expanded. We have said for years that the only reason we
would increment the major version number was because the new version
was *not* 100% backwardly compatible with the existing version. Other
people might call that a generation. We call it a revolution.

The numerals are *not* labels. The numerals 1 and 2 indicate the major
release series.

Depending on what happens with phase 2, that could become Struts 3 or
it might just be Struts 2.1. The litmus test for us has always been
backward-compatibility.