On Sun, Jul 18 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> then they could easily all be merged into a single command table
>> during loading or even via 'cat'.
>
> I'd rather go for this (see lfg file for examples):
>
> return {
>     name = "placefloat",
>     version = "1.00",
>     comment = "Insert a floating element.",
> }

Hello Hans,

No problem for me, but the suggested "cat *.cid >all-commands" would not work.

> and give the files names like placefloat.cid (context interface definition)
> and then load them using a lua script (this also permits us to load several
> definitions named placefloat e.g. for comparison of versions).

My purpose is to stay in sync (as good as possible) with the latest mkiv but
not to manage versions (I'm lazy, svn is doing that for me in general ;).
But it's no real problem of course, to add some "version = xxx", we only need
to remember to increment it sometimes.

> Another aspect is shared definitions. Settings like style and align are
> often shared so there we need a way to refer to that like
>
> align = interfaces.resolve("align"),

I agree.

> I'm not sure what the final purpose of this exercise is (intended usage and
> so),

My personal motivation is a new version of setup-en.pdf, more verbose
(detailed description of all options), complete (even for low-level commands,
but no obsolete commands), and with some additional features (categories,
index, cross-references).
See also:
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20100508.204345.b5003312.en.html

But it's even better, if this exercise can serve also other goals
(for example syntax-checking, replacing cont-en.xml,
replacing texshow-wiki etc.).

> but if it's to be integrated (or loaded in context) it has to fit in
> the general way such data is stored.

My idea was to put these command-descriptions on an svn-server, for example
here: http://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/contextman/context-commands
So, that all can contribute.

If the files were in the context-distribution, I don't know, how others than
you can contribute.

> So, given this thread .. can we summarize the state of a couple of
> commands? Say:
>
> - setupframed (inherited)
> - framed (inherits, resolving)
> - setupheadertexts (several arg configurations)
> - externalfigure (several arg configurations)
> - itemize (start command)

It's here: http://pmrb.free.fr/tmp/context-commands/

Cheers, Peter

--