Today I noticed that my Compose key did not seem to be working in my PDF
viewer (Evince on GNOME). On investigation, this turned out to be a problem
with the texdoc command, and specifically, that texlua changes the
environment variables LC_CTYPE, LC_COLLATE and LC_NUMERIC.

In this particular case, I think running a more recent version of LuaTeX
would suffice (I have 0.80), as texdoc tries to reset LC_CTYPE before
running external commands (and it turns out that this is the setting that
causes my problem), but a comment in the current (version 2.017) version of
texdoc says:

  In older versions of luatex, status.lc_* will be nil.

​For now, I've simply patched texdoc to set LC_CTYPE to the empty string.

However, this sort of problem could still occur with functionality of
programs started by texdoc that relies on LC_COLLATE or LC_NUMERIC, and
further, it can affect any program run with texlua that starts other
external programs or uses locale-dependent functionality.

Therefore, I wonder whether it would be possible to have an easy way to
undo or prevent this environment change? The most obvious way would be not
to change the environment when the executable is run as "texlua".

Relatedly, I have a bug fix for texdoc; is this the right place to send it?

--
https://rrt.sc3d.org