On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Kyle Huey <m...@kylehuey.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 11:55 PM, Nicolas B. Pierron <
>> nicolas.b.pier...@mozilla.com> wrote:

>> chaos
>> >>

>> > Thanks Roc, I will give it a try.
>> >
>> > On the other hand, I used to rely more on the "-c" option to achieve a
>> > similar thing in the past, instead of the "-e" option.
>> >
>> > The reason I did so being that the thread I am interested in does a few
>> > syscalls compared to the rest of the program.  Thus I felt that using
>> "-e"
>> > option would give it an unfair large time slices compared to what is
>> > supposed to happen if the threads are running concurrently.
>>

>> The -e option is gone now because the new scheduler (with or without chaos
>> mode) does not take system calls into account when calculating the length
>> of a timeslice. We only count conditional branches.
>>

> So we context switch at a syscall now only when the current thread happens
> to become unschedulable?

Or if any higher-priority thread has become runnable. This includes not
just a low-priority thread doing a FUTEX_WAKE to wake a high-priority
thread, but also a thread changing its priority or another thread's
priority, or even a low-priority thread writing to a pipe that a
high-priority thread is reading from. (Though in the latter case the
scheduler *might* not see the high-priority thread become runnable in time
in all cases.)

Rob
toD
rdsme,aoreseoouoto