Over the last few days we have had a lot of positive experiences
reproducing bugs with rr chaos mode. Kyle tells me that, in fact, he's been
able to reproduce every single bug he tried with enough machine time thrown
at it.

At this point the limiting factor is getting developers to actually debug
and fix recorded test failures. Anyone should be able to set up a VM on
their local machine, build Firefox, record some failures and fix them. For
best results, run just one test that's known intermittent, or possibly the
whole directory of tests if there might be inter-test dependencies. Use
--shuffle and --run-until-failure. The most convenient way to run rr with
chaos mode is probably to create a script rr-chaos that prepends the
--chaos option, and use --debugger rr-chaos.

Lots of tests have been disabled for intermittency over the years. Now we
have the ability to fix (at least some of) them without much pain, it may
be worth revisiting them, though i don't know how to prioritize that.

We might want to revisit our workflow. If we had the ability to mark tests
as disabled-for-intermittency explicitly, maybe we could automatically
disable intermittent tests as they show up and dedicate a pool of machines
to reproducing them with rr.

Rob
toD
rdsme,aoreseoouoto