Hi, this is an "intent to align with the spec" PSA.

The MediaCapture and Streams spec [1] says that sites requesting both camera and microphone at the same time, must get both or nothing (in the form of an error).

Firefox's permission doorhanger violates this invariant by offering users the camera choice "No video", and the microphone choice "No audio". We are removing those choices to be compliant. [2]

Our original intent behind those choices was to let users join a video conference as an "audio only" participant. Unfortunately, sites don't expect this behavior and often don't work right when the track is missing.

Sites are now expected to use navigator.mediaDevices.enumerateDevices to query whether a user has a camera, a microphone, or both [3].

The spec does allow browsers to mute [4], so we hope to revisit ideas like "join face-muted" in the near future (after a UX redesign).

Questions or concerns welcome,

.: Jan-Ivar :.

[1] http://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-main/getusermedia.html#dom-mediadevices-getusermedia
[2] https://bugzil.la/802326