Matt Howell will soon land stub installer support for 64-bit Windows in Nightly 52 (bug 797208), as part of an effort to move more Firefox users to 64-bit. About 66% of our Windows users are running 32-bit Firefox on 64-bit Windows. They're missing out on potential optimizations and fewer OOM crashes from 64-bit Firefox.

Matt's change will only add 64-bit support to the stub installer, not the Firefox updater. We will look into upgrading existing 32-bit Firefox users to 64-bit next year (bug 1274659).

The stub installer will automatically select 32- or 64-bit Firefox depending on the user's system configuration. Our proposed system requirements to receive 64-bit by default are: 64-bit Windows 7/8/8.1/10 with at least 2 GB RAM. Users can manually override the default and choose 32- or 64-bit on the stub installer's Options page. We don't plan to support 64-bit XP or Vista.

64-bit should significantly reduce OOM crashes, always top crash #1 or #2 for 32-bit Firefox on the Beta and Release channels. The following re:dash query is a preview of the improved crash stats from 64-bit. Note that this query may exaggerate 64-bit's benefit. We should compare 32- and 64-bit Firefox both on 64-bit Windows, but this query doesn't distinguish between 32-bit Firefox running on 32-bit or 64-bit Windows. 32-bit Firefox has a 4 GB virtual address space on 64-bit Windows and is less likely to OOM than on 32-bit Windows, where it has a 2 GB virtual address space.

Browser, content, and plugin process crashes/kilohour for Firefox 48 (Beta + Release):

  32-bit Firefox:  3.76    2.15    11.37
  64-bit Firefox:  3.22    1.32    0.39

  https://sql.telemetry.mozilla.org/queries/1238#table

Flash and Silverlight are the only NPAPI plugins we have supported on 64-bit Firefox. We have waited until Firefox 52 to roll out 64-bit to more users because we didn't want to regress users' plugin support. Firefox 52 is disabling support for all NPAPI plugins other than Flash (bug 1269807), so 64-bit's limited plugin support is no longer any regression compared to 32-bit.

chris